Sunday, January 22, 2012

R.I.P. Joe Pa


Being part of the central Pennsylvania community, it is hard not to have a story about Joe Paterno.  The sad news was announced by the Paterno family spokesperson of his passing on January 22, 2012. As Joe Pa's life is celebrated we will hear over and over again that Mr. Paterno was not larger than life and was simply a flesh and blood person just as you and I.

Years ago Milano Bread Company hired Joe to be their spokesperson, in a number of commercials, over the course of a few years.  I was hired as art director (including:  props, placement and purchase, costume and make up). Part of my job required me to purchase several sets of  Joe's uniform blue shirt, navy blue sweater and tie (I believe we had three duplicate outfits) and to have it ready at a moment's notice,  ironed and ready to wear . Additionally, I had to powder any shine off his nose and forehead so no sweat would reflect under camera lights.

The shoot took place at a lovely bed and breakfast near the State College Airport. The day was hot and muggy and Joe needed frequent powdering. This was not something he enjoyed, so I made it a game giving him a drink of cold water (Roaring Springs of course!) and a quick powder. After a few rounds of our routine, he settled down a bit and let me do my job, only after saying, "Honey, I don't think there's much you can do with this face."


To the Paterno family, friends, Penn State, State College and the central Pennsylvania community, PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails extend our deepest condolences for the loss of a monument of a man.

Click here for Milano commercial

 R.I.P. Joe Paterno

No comments:

Post a Comment