Monday, January 30, 2012

The art of giving

I guess the purpose of blogging for the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails is to attach a humanness to the project. Sometimes this forum is used as a space to make announcements or updates. Sometimes its just me, the blogger, trying to make a connection to you, the reader.

My present employment status is precarious at best. I have three part-time jobs. It took me almost a year to become that solvent and my financial solvency is not even close. With several school loans to pay back, car insurance, gas, rent, utilities and food there is hardly a penny left to spend on frivolity.

The other day I was at the local grocer picking up a few essentials (tp, dog food, bagels and sugar) when I ran into two local impoverished folk. One was selling rocks and the other held a cardboard sign looking for work. Not having enough money to support a worker or purchase a piece of azerite, I bought the gentlemen a couple of apple fritters and bid them well. As I drove off I realized something,  no mater how little one is able to help, it can have an impact. Now don't get me wrong, an apple  fritter will not change either of their lives. They still are without adequate shelter, no health care, they still are wearing worn-out clothing and shoes.  Yet, for a short period of time, they felt closer to human, someone who is cared for and appreciated.

The PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails operates on a similar premise. The "squares" which are multiplying call attention to the importance of central Pennsylvania communities. Having a quilt square in your community shows others that your community is appreciated, cared for and honored in a respectable way. Donating to this undertaking, shows the community at large that you are someone who cares for the better good of the community. Maybe you can only offer help painting, maybe you only can give a small donation or maybe your efforts can be put towards getting a group together to have your own quilt square-it all matters. Nothing is ever too small a gesture.

Be part of something that gives back and grows-support the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment