Monday, August 29, 2011

Putting your shirt on backwards

Today, August 29, 2011, I am writing this post from southeast Arizona. If anyone has ever been to southeast Arizona in August you will agree that August is not the prime month to be visiting this area. Remember all those times people told you the southwest has "dry" heat and 100 degrees feels much cooler? Not so during the summer monsoon season which brings daily  heavy afternoon/evening rains and with it high humidity and BUGS.  I probably could go on for pages about the bugs: chiggers, wasps, mosquitoes, and my most unfavoured noseeums. Every part of my flesh is covered with the swollen itching remains of bites from these little pests.

Last evening after a full day of sweating and bites I took a late night bath. Anxious to get fully dressed before the feeding frenzy restarted I quickly pulled on my shirt and to my house mate's delight, dressed myself with a shirt that was on backwards. Once the laughter and giggles dies down I began to think about how inattentive I was in dressing and wondered what other things I did that lacked full attention.

As a long time resident of central Pennsylvania, sometimes I barely notice the beauty of the state. Working on the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails has made me stop and take notice of the surroundings. The colors of the rolling farm lands are a beautiful palate of greens, browns, and yellows. Places like Hunters Valley (home of the first PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails square) has a view of the Susquehanna River that is stunning. On the drive from Hunters Valley Winery to the Tuscarora Forest to see the Magdalean Trail Rug there is an enclave of Amish residents with road side farm stands and (on Fridays) an Amish bakery with the most delicious, still warm donuts, cookies and breads.

This fall when the colors of central Pennsylvania are at their most fabulous take a day off and follow the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails. Even if you have lived in central Pennsylvania your entire life, take the tour, open your eyes and ears and nose and pay attention.






No comments:

Post a Comment