Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Please Sir, Can I Have Some More?"

It's that time of year where everyone is asking for donations to many worthy projects. The PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails is not exception.....please consider supporting a quilt square, whether it be instead of participating in work Secret Santa gifts, buying another tie for a friend or loved one or in addition to the many gifts that you feel forced to give to everyone from your child's teacher, mail person, hair stylist, etc. at this time of year.

And now I will give you a compelling reason why.

Last year I was asked to sponsor a child who lives in an orphanage in Naco, Sonora, Mexico. I readily said, "Yes!" but was forced to deal with the fact that, for me, last years' funds were very tight and I wasn't sure how I could come up with extra cash to buy a coat, clothes and toys for the 12 year old boy I sponsored. I am fortunate to have a December birthday (today in fact) and I asked friends and family in lieu of gifts to donate any money that would be spent on me towards buying this boy some of the things needed. I got to go to the orphanage and deliver the goods that were gifted to me. This is an experience I most likely will remember for most of the rest of my life.

A year later, long after I would remember any of the gifts I would have received I still am proud of the gifts I gave. I know that when Eduardo grows too large for his coat, he will pass it on to a younger child: likewise his pants and shoes. The soccer ball, no doubt has been used for hours of play and the candy shared by Eduardo with the other kids.

If you sponsor a quilt square you will be able to see if for years to come. Quilt squares are for the enjoyment of community members and visitors alike. Every time you pass "your" quilt square you will feel pride in what you have done.

Go ahead-donate a square.

No comments:

Post a Comment