Friday, March 9, 2012

Two broken legs

I, like most people in these hard economic times, have multiple, part-time jobs. Graduating college is no longer a guarantee of full-time well-paying employment. One of my jobs is working at a writing center at a junior college. Helping students with their papers and ultimately helping them pass classes that will lead to graduation, is rewarding (though not financially) work. Twice a week I work with a 72 year old gentleman who has enrolled in school to learn how to read, write and gain computer skills. He is very much a presence at the writing center and has become part of the "family". Two weeks ago he stopped coming to the center. After the first missed day I began my search for him, asking around for sightings, phoning his house and even driving to his house a few times to see if I could catch a glimpse of him sitting on his porch. Two days ago I found out that he had been hit by a car and was now in a nursing home with two broken legs and numerous other injuries.

I visited my gentleman friend and told him how much he was missed and how I had been looking for him for the previous two weeks. We talked briefly and I asked if he had any needs that I could take care of for him. As I parted he left me with this thought, "Life can change in an instant. One minute you are crossing the street to go get your morning cup of coffee and then next you are in an ambulance heading for the hospital."

The PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails will most likely be around long after we all are gone. However, now is the time to visit and support it. There may not be an opportunity tomorrow. Take your family and follow the trail.  Visit the Hunters Valley Winery quilt square on a date. Show your kids the world's first Trail Rug at the Tuscarora forest. Support is easy by using the Paypal button at the top right of this page. Take advantage of what you have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment