Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Mohawk Trail

When I was a kid, family vacations and family day trips usually involved an educational angle. Whether my mother was a closet history buff or just wanted to expand our experiences, when my Dad wasn't breaking his hand, catching fire or cutting himself, our family trips involved learning something about the area. Often we camped or stayed at motels, ate cereal from individual sized boxes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and ventured forth to learn. I discovered Washington DC through museums and mass transit,  the deep south in the 60s via side roads and scenic routes, and followed the Mohawk Trail through upstate New York and Massachusetts.

Photo by Sharon Lee
Recently my Mom came for a visit. As I played her tour guide we reminisced about the Mohawk Trail. I remember stopping somewhere in Massachusetts and learning how taper candles were made. For the first time, I tasted blue green dressing and escarole. Somewhere in northeastern New York, we stayed at a log cabin off the main road. My first experience of the wonderful smells of a spruce forest was during this trip.

It is the hope of Community Partnerships RC&D, and myself as PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails administrator, that the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails becomes a trail of memories, education, wonderful sights, tastes  and smells. Please help build the PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails. Sponsors, sites, painters all are needed. Make the PA Quilt (And Rug) Trails a integral part of the central Pennsylvania experience.

Happy New Years from Community Partnerships RC&D, sponsor ofthe PA Quilt (and Rug) Trails.



No comments:

Post a Comment