Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

Happy New Years!


As the administrator of the PA Quilt Trails my attention is often not on the same quilt as everyone else's. A new quilt in Perry county, for me could have been front and foremost in my months  before anyone else is even aware of its exsistence.

The quilt square at the Sewing Shanty in Selinsgrove was one of the first quilt squares that was committed to. Soon after the PA Quilt Trails brochures were sent out I was contacted by Debra Andretta, the proprietor of the Sewing Shanty, about the possibility of a quilt square in her place of business. Debra and her brother Mark wanted to honor their father with a memorial piece.

As written by Debra Andretta:

"This quilt pattern is called a Sawtooth Square.  My father, Paul W. Brong, 1931-2010, loved the outdoors.  Until recent years, he owned a sawmill and had a marvelous equipped wood shop.  My brother, Mark Paul Brong, owner of Mark Brong's Woodworking, took my father's love of wood and turned in into a very successful furniture and woodworking business.  The fabrics I used for the quilt represent my father's love of wood-there are wood grains representing the pine, oak, walnut, and local cherry woods, round grains for firewood, woven basket design representing Dad's love of caning chairs. a masonry fabric ,(he built his own stone house back in the 1950's),  and the border fabric represents wood carving"

Debra created the design of this piece using fabrics and her brother Mark created the final piece with a variety of woods.



This is a beautiful piece not to be missed.


Sewing Shanty
29 S. Market Street
Selinsgrove, PA 17870
(570) 372-1922

No comments:

Post a Comment