Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 6, 2010


One of the most enjoyable aspects of coordinating the PA Quilt Trails is discovering central Pennsylvania. As a resident of Central PA for a little more than 22 years, I felt I knew my home turf quite well. I have been delightfully surprised to find that this is not at all the case. Example: Last week I needed to go to Hunters Valley Winery to work out some design details for their soon to be hung quilt square. I decided to not bring my usual packed lunch and search out the Spruce Hill Cafe near Port Royal, what I believe is to be the only vegetarian restaurant in the area, the next nearest in either New York City or Philadelphia (please correct me here if I am wrong). Spruce Hill Cafe is located amidst Amish and Mennonite communities in the Tuscarora Valley, some of Pennsylvania's most remote areas. The cafe is tastefully decorated retaining the original early 1900s look and feel from when this eatery was first constructed. The food was simple and tasty and my vegan sloppy Joe sandwich and bean salad filled me up enough that I had to forgo the vegan blueberry pie that was offered to me. As I sat at the vintage Formica table near the open window I could listen to birds and inhale the summer scent in the wind. As I left Spruce Hill and drove a bit down the road I was blessed with the vision of acres and acres of sunflowers, always a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment