Tuesday, June 15, 2010


Well it took the better part of a week to post a new blog but several days "in the field" attending conferences, meetings and train rides wrapped around a weekend, has delayed my best intentions.

Last week I spent the majority of my work day driving from Lewistown, PA. to Lewisburg, PA. looking for potential quilt sites. It was a wet, rainy day and though I was tempted to postpone this trip for a day or so. However, Pennsylvania's weather can be notoriously rainy and I decided to perservere and tour central Pennsylvania amid the raindrops.

Traveling northeast on 522 to Route 104, my first stop was Shade Mountain Winery in Snyder County. Through the mist, I could see sixty-five acres of grape vines across the road from a 19th century converted barn housing a winery, party room and retail shop. Needing a few minutes to dry off I met the propritors and baby Pete who was visiting grandma and grandpa for the day. Being on the clock I didn't feel a full taste-tasting appropriate but curiousity overcame my sense of restraint and a sample of fabulous elderberry wine was imbibed and a bottle of this deliciuos infusion was purchased to be enjoyed at home, on my porch, star gazing with my dog.(Corny, cliche and true.)

Just heading up the road I turned off to a horse and buggy Menonite dairy, specialing in raw milk and cheese production. This family operation is cooperatively managed by two generations of Menonites. I was given a brief tour of the cheese production room and thrilled to find the facilities immaculate.

The rest of the day was full of discoveries: the beautiful architecture of Lewisburg, A delicious authentic Mexican meal in Selinsgrove and lastly an accidental discovery of a covered bridge in Beaver Springs (near the home of Davy Jones of Monkees fame).

No comments:

Post a Comment